Heine Brothers’ Coffee Brewing Up Portland Warehouse District Revitalization
Growing coffee roaster to open new corporate offices, roastery, warehouse, and training center.
Louisville, KY (April 18, 2016) – Heine Brothers’ Coffee announced today that it is making a major redevelopment move in the important historic Louisville neighborhood becoming known as the Portland Warehouse District. In an expansion of operations, the 13 store organic and fair trade coffee company will soon begin renovating a more than 100 year old building at 1301 W. Main St. The 40,000 square foot building, which boasts an additional 40,000 square feet of basement space on the northwest corner of 13th and Main streets, will serve as a corporate office, roastery, warehouse and state-of-the-art training center.
“There is a lot of momentum on the west side of Ninth Street, and as a local company we see an opportunity to make a positive impact on the neighborhood,” said Heine Brothers’ President Mike Mays. “We’re excited about the potential to hug the phase 4 expansion of Waterfront Park West. To be in a beautiful building believed to be the city’s first steel beam warehouse constructed right after the turn of the century is another big draw. Combining our Offices, Roastery/Warehouse and Training Center in this new facility will energize our company, while also demonstrating our commitment to the renewal of the area.”
For the last 16 years, HVAC contractor, Automatic Air, has operated out of the building. Renovation will begin later this spring, with Heine Brothers’ targeting a late summer 2016 opening.
Heine Brothers’ will occupy 16,000 square feet of the building at 13th and Main, and is seeking to lease 24,000 square feet of commercial space.
The company’s corporate offices are currently located above Heine Brothers’ Crescent Hill store. Heine Brothers’ also has a small warehouse and training space in the Clifton neighborhood.
A total of 15 employees will soon work out of the new headquarters, roastery, training center, and warehouse, with room for additional growth.
About Heine Brothers’
Heine Brothers’ is a 100% fair trade and organic coffee roaster. The company opened their first shop in October 1994 in the Highlands neighborhood of Louisville, KY, and has 13 locations and a mobile Airstream espresso bar. Heine Brothers’ is committed to operating responsibly and sustainably – donating to numerous community groups, buying locally and co-founding the world’s 1st fair-trade coffee buying cooperative. The company is committed to continuing to deliver remarkable coffee shop experiences while staying focused on making an impact in Louisville and around the world. For more information, please visit heinebroscoffee.com or follow @HeineBrosCoffee.
The month of April is Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month. This year, Heine Brothers’ is teaming with The Center for Women and Families and their Own It Initiative for the launch of the White Ribbon Kentuckiana campaign.
What is the White Ribbon Campaign?
The White Ribbon Campaign is the world’s most effective initiative to engage and mobilize men and boys to prevent sexual and domestic violence.
White Ribbon Kentuckiana begins with a relatively simple pledge – that men:
- will not condone gender-based violence
- will speak out against gender-based violence, and
- will take action to end gender-based violence
- commit to creating a society free from gender-based violence
Why is this focused towards men?
Men have a particularly critical role to play in responding to and preventing sexual violence, largely because they have been notably absent from the efforts. The value that men have in responding and preventing sexual violence is in part based on men’s position as community members — we all have a role to play in ending sexual assault. But also because men as a collective have a different relationship to the social norms that allow some men to continue to perpetrate sexual violence. Because of men’s different relationship to these norms as compared to women, men have a unique opportunity to disrupt these social norms.
Want can you do?
- Attend Take Back the Night on Wednesday March 30 at the Red Barn at U of L.
- Stop by your neighborhood Heine Brothers’ and pick up your own pledge card and white ribbon.
- Talk to the men in your life about sexual violence, and encourage them to speak out and take action. Prevention is key.
- Invite the men you know to wear the White Ribbon and to join the efforts of the Own It Initiative in our community.
Check out menownit.org for more information.
Heine Brothers’ Coffee is excited to introduce a selection of very special, small lot coffees for your enjoyment. We’re calling this group of coffees “Heine Brothers’ Explorer Series”, and we’ll be rolling them out throughout 2016. Coffees selected for Explorer Series are a little bit different than our perennial offerings, representing different types of coffee cultivars, alternative coffee cherry processing methods, or unique flavor profiles.
Each of these coffees is still 100% organic and fair-trade certified, and purchased through our importing co-op, Cooperative Coffees. Cooperative Coffees’ relationship-based model of equitable trade often affords us some very exciting opportunities. In this case, we are able to support farmer organizations who are working hard to distinguish themselves in an increasingly tight marketplace. Many farmer driven initiatives focus on improving education and best farm management practices, creating more effective traceability systems to track individual farmers’ coffees, and developing product “tiers” that reflect both green coffee quality and specific flavor profiles that importers and roasters seek. By contributing technical and financial assistance for such projects we get improved access to some remarkable coffees.
We want to share with you exactly what excites us about each of these Explorer Series offerings, so we’re creating some new packaging and web content to help tell those stories. We are working with local designer and printmaker Karen Weeks of Moxie Letterpress on some very exciting new packaging. Each bag features details on country of origin, co-op and farmer info, coffee varietal, altitude, and of course tasting notes. Karen has also thoughtfully included her interpretations of traditional textile patterns from specific coffee growing countries on each package. You will also find a web address to the Explorer Series blog where you can read all about each coffee as it’s released.
We’re really looking forward to sharing these exceptional limited release coffees with you. It should be a fun and interesting year of exploration for us and you. Please enjoy.
- Nutty Irishman – a St. Patrick’s Day treat with Irish Cream and Hazelnut!
- Nutty Irishberg – a deliciously-blended Nutty Irishmen
- Ginger Soda – a secret barista favorite is unleashed. Spicy, sweet, and refreshing!
- Vint Julep – just in time for the KY Derby, our Vint Julep is a latte that features Bourbon Smoked Sugar and Mint Julep Sugar from Louisville’s own Bourbon Barrel Foods!
- Vint Julep Iceberg – the Vint Julep, only blended!
- Campfire Tea Latte – smokey & delicious blend of cocoa, cinnamon, and Lapsang Souchoung makes a toasty smorestastic treat!
- Citrus Green Iced Tea – this customer favorite has flowers of ginger, orange, and peach – as well as orange peel, ginger, and apricot!
- HB-Main Street & HB-Fourth Street are open until 3pm.
- All other locations are open until 5pm.
- HB-Frankfort Ave is open 8am-3pm.
- HB-Douglass Loop is open 8am-3pm.
- HB-Chenoweth Lane is open 8am-3pm.
- HB-Gardiner Lane is open 7:30am-8pm.
- HB-Schnitzelburg is open 8am-1pm.
- HB-Veterans Pkwy is open 8am-1pm.
- All other locations will be closed.
- All baristas working on Christmas Day have volunteered for the shifts, and would love to see you!
New Years Eve
- HB-Main Street – open until 3pm.
- HB-Fourth Street – open until 3pm.
- HB-Chenoweth Lane – open until 6pm.
- HB-Northfield – open until 6pm.
- HB-Shelbyville Road – open until 6pm.
- HB-Blankenbaker Pkwy – open until 6pm.
- Vint – open until 6pm.
- HB-Longest Avenue – open until 9pm.
- HB-Frankfort Avenue – open until 9pm.
- HB-Douglass Loop – open until 9pm.
- HB-Gardiner Lane – open until 9pm.
- HB-Schnitzelburg – open until 9pm.
New Years Day
- HB-Main Street & HB-Fourth Street are closed for the day.
- All other locations open at 7am.
Thanks to some of our baristas volunteering to, several of our locations will be open on Thanksgiving Day!
Friday November 27 2015 Hours:
- HB-Main Street: closed
- HB-Fourth Street: open 10am-8pm for Light Up Louisville
- All others: open regular hours
Heine Brothers’ is excited to once again partner with our friends at Copper & Kings American Brandy to bring you the second annual A Family Affair! A Family Affair is an evening of Kentucky family businesses & families coming together for the community. All proceeds to benefit Family Scholar House.
A Family Affair
November 20, 2015
Copper & Kings American Brandy
1121 E. Washington Street. Louisville, KY 40206
Libations, grub, coffee & more!
Live Music by: King Kong
Hot Coffee provided by: Heine Brothers’ Coffee
Food provided by: Creation Gardens, prepared by The Mayan Cafe
Beer provided by: Against The Grain Brewery
Beverages provided by: Butchertown Soda
Suggested $10 donation. Children under 12 enter free.
You are encouraged to bring seasonal gifts for the parents and children of Family Scholar House.
To celebrate our 21st Anniversary, Have One On Us!
Now through October 31st, pay for your transaction using the HB Perks app. At the end of the month, a $3 credit will be added to your account. It’s that easy!
Not yet a member of HB Perks? Download the app and register now by going to HBPerks.com!