Heine Brothers’ is proud to partner with the Louisville Free Public Library (along with our friends at Against The Grain and 502 Fit Pass) on Get Lit Lou (short for Get Literary Louisville), LFPL’s new winter reading program for adults, encouraging everyone to “read responsibly”. From December through February, participants who read any three books and attend three programs – either at the Library or at Get Lit Lou-specific programs at partner businesses – will earn a prize and be entered in to drawings for bigger prizes.
- Thursday, December 9 2016: Literary Trivia at Against The Grain. We’ll be taking over the 7 o’clock trivia slot with Clay Baker for a special literary trivia session. Doors open at 6 p.m. with samples available from Heine Brothers’ and a library table to get you signed up for Get Lit Lou, a library card, and more. Instead of the standard Trivia Night entry fee, teams will be encouraged to donate to the Library Foundation, and the winning team will receive Heine Brothers’ & Carmichael’s gift cards. Plus, show your library card and get 50 cents off beer!
- Friday, January 13 2017: After-Hours Roasting & Smoking with Heine Brothers’ and Against The Grain at the Southwest Regional Library. Join HB Head Roaster/Coffee Manager Alec Risch and Lead Drink Trainer Joe Dininger, along with representatives from Against The Grain, in a talk about roasting and smoking malts, beans, and beers. Try some samples and chat with an expert.Register HERE for this free event.
- Pop-Up Libraries at Heine Brothers’ Coffee:
- Tuesday, January 17 2017: HB-Douglass Loop 10am-12pm
- Tuesday, January 31 2017: HB-Shelbyville Road 10am-12pm
- Tuesday, February 10 2017: HB-Schnitzelburg 10am-12pm
- Tuesday, February 17 2017: HB-Chenoweth Lane 10am-12pm
- Tuesday, February 24 2017: HB-Northfield 10am-12pm
GetLitLou Instagram Contest Winners:
— Nick Gant (@nickgant1) December 28, 2016
Rachel Hagan : rachelrillustration.com
- Combine reading, beer and coffee at Get Lit Lou – Courier-Journal Jan. 10 2017
- Get Lit Lou Kickoff Event: Literary Trivia at Against The Grain – Louisville.com
- Get Lit Lou, adult winter reading program, launches – LouisvilleDistilled.com Jan. 3 2017
For additional info on the events, contest, reading program, and more, visit the Louisville Free Public Library’s Get Lit Lou site.
Heine Brothers’ is excited to once again partner with our friends at Copper & Kings American Brandy to bring you the second annual A Family Affair! A Family Affair is an evening of Kentucky family businesses & families coming together for the community. All proceeds to benefit Family Scholar House.
A Family Affair
November 20, 2015
Copper & Kings American Brandy
1121 E. Washington Street. Louisville, KY 40206
Libations, grub, coffee & more!
Live Music by: King Kong
Hot Coffee provided by: Heine Brothers’ Coffee
Food provided by: Creation Gardens, prepared by The Mayan Cafe
Beer provided by: Against The Grain Brewery
Beverages provided by: Butchertown Soda
Suggested $10 donation. Children under 12 enter free.
You are encouraged to bring seasonal gifts for the parents and children of Family Scholar House.
We’re giving away a pair of tickets to LIBA’s Weird Birthday Bash, two Keep Louisville Weird t-shirts, plus a $20 Heine Brothers’ gift card, all to one winner! To enter, go to our Facebook page and comment on the contest post with the name of your favorite Louisville local business. Like the post for an additional entry!
- You are able to enter twice (once for a comment to the Facebook post, again for a Like to the post). Duplicate comments will not count as additional entries.
- Contest ends on Sunday 2/22/2015 at 11pm, winner will be notified on Monday morning.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
Heine Brothers’ is having a party! We’re celebrating our 20th anniversary at ReSurfaced (615 W. Main Street in Downtown Louisville) this Thursday – October 23 2014! The HB Airstream will be open selling your favorite drinks (and maybe some special surprises as well). Food Trucks and Beer will be available, and special guest Appalatin will be playing at 8pm!
ATTN: Current and former Heine Brothers’ Baristas – after 20 years, there are a lot of you out there! We’d love to see you at the party – be there at 7:45pm for a group picture in front of the stairs!
Last weekend a group of eight of Heine Brothers’ best and brightest piled into a couple of cars and road-tripped up to Coffee Fest St. Louis to take classes, meet coffee folks from all over the world, and compete in the Latte Art World Championship Open. We’d all been looking forward to the trip for weeks, perusing the class offerings, scoping out the vendors, and feverishly working on the perfect latte pour.
The opening round of the latte art competition got underway bright and early on day one. Jay Haynes (manager of Vint Coffee) poured first. Anyone who has seen him slinging beautiful and delicious lattes behind the Vint bar knows that he is cool as a cucumber. Meanwhile, we were all biting our nails in the audience! He poured a lovely tulip and winged heart, but the opposing barista took the match.
Next up was Jay Keywood (manager of HB Shelbyville Rd) who stepped up at a moment’s notice as an alternate. He poured with his characteristic enthusiasm and skill, creating a very nice tulip, but the other barista just had a better pour and he was also eliminated. Both of our Jays described the experience as totally terrifying, but they did us proud! You can see them both in action again at HB Northfield on June 22nd at our company-wide latte art competition!
But going to an event like Coffee Fest isn’t just about competing, picking up coffee swag, and enjoying a weekend away from home—it’s an opportunity to connect with baristas and roasters from around the country, and to learn about what’s on the cutting edge of the coffee industry! Coffee culture has changed a lot over the past decade, with the rise in popularity of manual brewing options like the Chemex and V60, and an emphasis on quality from seed to cup.
Heine Brothers’ has been taking these developments to heart; we’ve always sourced high quality organic coffees, and we’ve got a passionate and hardworking bunch of roasters and baristas who are making sure that quality carries through to you in every cup. We took classes that ranged from the very technical (like “Packaging for the Roaster”) to the creative (like “Cooking with Coffee”), and everything in between. Some of the biggest coffee nerds in the company attended Coffee Fest, and they are bringing the enthusiasm and knowledge gained back here to Louisville. I know I saw at least one manager heading home with an armful of V60 brewers, and we all came away with ideas that we can’t wait to try out!
That’s not to say that we didn’t get out and have some fun in St. Louis, though. Most of us got together and went to a Cardinals baseball game on Friday night. Sadly (according to some of us), they lost. We also got to meet up with some of our friends from Sunergos and some of the Coffee Fest staff for a Louisville party at a local restaurant on Saturday night, where we enjoyed some great drinks and conversation. We are lucky to have such a vibrant coffee community here, and it was great to hang out with them. We also did a fair amount of coffee tourism, checking out coffee shops and roasters both in the exhibits hall and around the city. I brought back a lot of coffee for our Head Roaster, Alec, to sample!
Maybe he taught you the important things like how to check the oil in your car, or maybe he taught you everything from the intricate rules of football to the delicate technique to create the crispiest bacon. No matter what it was your Dad did for you, it’s no question that some of the best memories have him in it.
Dads are the ones who stay up all night to help us beat the video game we’re stuck on, Dads are the ones who make you linger on the classic Rock station because that’s what you always used to listen to in the car together, and Dads are the ones who promise not to tell mom. Dads are the ones who teach us to be mischievous, and in turn, teach us some of the toughest lessons of our lives.
So let him know you enjoyed every morning spent with him and look forward to every cup of coffee you will share in the future. This Father’s Day our Good Morning and Front Porch blends are the perfect gift to remind Dad you appreciate everything he has done for you!
Last Sunday presented a rare opportunity: watching hardened baristas shake under the pressure of pouring perfect latte art. HBVC hosted their second company latte art throw down, a competition that puts barista against barista, judging who can create the best design. These competitions have been increasing in popularity in the company and the Louisville area alike. Indeed, these events have become so popular in the coffee-world that there is even a national competition!
The night started with 15 competitors, including latte art veterans and rookies from Vint and Heine Brothers’. The baristas battled, cup to cup, producing stellar latte art, judged for 1) definition, 2) symmetry, 3) size and 4) contrast. In the end it came down to Jay Haynes vs. Hope Wiseman. They each presented their cups and, after waiting many agonizing minutes, the judges declared Hope the winner with her three-layered tulip.
This throw down was not only an opportunity for baristas to show their skills, but also a great chance for employees from around the company to bond and “geek-out” about coffee. Thank you to all the competitors and our judges with a special thanks to Jay Keywood and Jay Haynes for helping to organize the event.
photos by Jay Keywood
At Heine Brothers’, we have a long tradition of being out in the community, serving coffee at different events around town. Not only is it fun for our baristas to get out from behind the bar and interact with with the public in a new atmosphere, but also helps you get your favorite coffee while out!
We have many events scheduled so far for this spring – see you there!
- Anthem 5k – February 22 2014
- Rodes City Run – March 8 2014
- Papa John’s 10-Miler – March 22 2014
- Dare to Care’s Taste of Derby Festival – April 9 2014
- Thunderblast at the Kentucky Science Center – April 12 2014
- Mighty Kindness – April 26 2014
- Throo The Zoo 5k at The Louisville Zoo – May 10 2014
- Forest Fest at the Jefferson Memorial Forest – May 17 2014
- Buy Local Fair at The Water Tower – May 18 2014