Tell me a little bit about your job – for those who don’t know, what does a head roaster’s job at Heine Brothers’ entail?
I’m the Head Roaster and green coffee buyer for HB. Most of my day is spent in production, or overseeing production (i.e. quality control, inventory management, and facilitating communication among my staff or with cafe managers). I’m also the liaison between HB and our importing co-op, Cooperative Coffees. Specifically, I am on the Sourcing and Quality, and Cooperative Impact committees. Depending on the projects we’re working on it takes only 5-10% of my time, but that work drives how we maintain relationships with our farming partners, and how we impact their lives beyond simply cutting a check for green coffee once a year.
1. What year did your shop open? November 1997!
2. Do you have any crazy customer stories? One time, Marie, our endearing doddering regular, drove her car in to the side of the building. Another time, a group of people held an improptu wedding reception in our smaller room, complete with cake and presents.
3. What is the most popular drink at your shop? Skim latte, Iced soy mocha, and so many Con Leches!
4. Who are your shop’s favorite regulars? The morning crew – Jim, Bob, Chris, Cheryl, and John. the Nancy’s, the Peter’s, Con Leche Joe, Con Leche Dennis, Jess Dos bagels, Sam and Courtney, Betty, Peter B. fred, Iced mocha Ben, Randy, Annie, Ike & Saxonie. Also Lawyer John and Prince Charming.
5. What makes your shop better than the others? The co-workers!
2) Do you have any crazy customer stories? We did have a couple come in the morning after their wedding, she was still in her wedding dress & him in his tux! They hadn’t been to bed yet and were getting some coffee! We gave them a couple of iced coffees for congratulations!
3) What is the most popular drink at your shop? medium coffee – close seconds would be chaibergs & mochas!
4) Who are your shop’s favorite regulars? Lawyer Bob, Ray, “Hambone”, Little Max, Denzel Dave, Kate from Carmichaels!!
5) What makes your shop better than all of the others? We have the friendliest customers, we looove our customers! 😀 We are the neighborhood coffee shop in a neighborly neighborhood. Feels like family.
6) What are some of the favorite local businesses within 2 blocks of your shop?Just Creations, Fat Jimmy’s, Carmichael’s, The Wine Rack