Join us in the White Ribbon Campaign.
The month of April is Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month. This year, Heine Brothers’ is teaming with The Center for Women and Families and their Own It Initiative for the launch of the White Ribbon Kentuckiana campaign.
What is the White Ribbon Campaign?
The White Ribbon Campaign is the world’s most effective initiative to engage and mobilize men and boys to prevent sexual and domestic violence.
White Ribbon Kentuckiana begins with a relatively simple pledge – that men:
- will not condone gender-based violence
- will speak out against gender-based violence, and
- will take action to end gender-based violence
- commit to creating a society free from gender-based violence
Why is this focused towards men?
Men have a particularly critical role to play in responding to and preventing sexual violence, largely because they have been notably absent from the efforts. The value that men have in responding and preventing sexual violence is in part based on men’s position as community members — we all have a role to play in ending sexual assault. But also because men as a collective have a different relationship to the social norms that allow some men to continue to perpetrate sexual violence. Because of men’s different relationship to these norms as compared to women, men have a unique opportunity to disrupt these social norms.
Want can you do?
- Attend Take Back the Night on Wednesday March 30 at the Red Barn at U of L.
- Stop by your neighborhood Heine Brothers’ and pick up your own pledge card and white ribbon.
- Talk to the men in your life about sexual violence, and encourage them to speak out and take action. Prevention is key.
- Invite the men you know to wear the White Ribbon and to join the efforts of the Own It Initiative in our community.
Check out menownit.org for more information.